Conclusions and Recommendations
The following conclusions can be drawn from the study:
From energy consumption pattern in the campus it is clear that offices consume more than 50% of the total energy. The rest are residential areas 15%, Chiller room 10%, etc.
Residential areas are the major source of water consumption; with around 50%. The second source is the offices, almost 25% of total water consumption. The rest are chiller room, regional experimental center, etc.
On an average, the wastewater generation from AIT is about 1,122 m3/day. The water balance indicates a lost of 17.3%.
The physical characteristics of influent and effluent of wastewater treatment plant indicates that BOD removal efficiency is only 68-71%. Compared to the Thai standard for wastewater, AITís WWTP sometimes cannot meet the standard.
Each day AIT generates about 2 tons of domestic waste of which only 4% is recyclable. The remaining 96% is sent directly to the landfill. Seventy five percent of the total recyclable waste is contributed by paper mostly from the offices.
Solid waste generation is largely from the residential areas; especially the staff areas; about 32% of total solid waste. Student areas generate 27%, 17% from the offices and the rest are AITCC, cafeteria and others. Organic waste is estimated at 60% of total waste.
Energy, water and solid waste audits were conducted at the representative buildings which consume large amount of energy, water and generate huge amount of solid waste.
Yard waste is about 0.2 tons per day, some of them are sent to the organic composting site in the AIT campus. The rest is dumped at the dumping site near the School of Management.
After identifying the potential sources of energy and water consumption and solid waste generation, CP options are proposed, to suggest measures to reduce energy and water consumption and solid waste generation.
If AIT implemented these CP options, the daily energy consumption will be reduced from 9.65 kWh/person to 7.65 kWh/person by 2010. Moreover, the daily water consumption in 2010 will be reduced from 354 L/person to 226 L/person.
The need is to implement all proposed Cleaner Production options including the promotion of energy and water reduction programmes in the campus.
Not only implementing the energy and water reducing activities, the application of new technology also plays significant role for energy and water reduction.
Moreover, leakage is estimated at about 6% to 20% of total water consumption. To reduce this amount, Leak detection should be done in AIT.
The proposed scenario for improvement of wastewater treatment plant should be implemented. The best way to do is to divide the WWTP into two. The first WWTP is to treat only the wastewater from the office, this wastewater can be further reused for watering the garden in the campus. The second WWTP will treat the wastewater from the rest buildings and discharge into public canal.
AIT needs to conduct some solid waste reduction programs on promoting of 3R concepts; reduce, reuse and recycle.
An organic waste composting or anaerobic digestion should be started in the campus. Organic waste covers 60% of total waste in the campus of which 432 kg/day are generated from the cafeteria, AITCC and other vendors.
Energy consumption predictions
Water consumption predictions
Predictions of domestic and office waste generations